16 Jan

can’t sleep

more insomnia. oh well. gives me time to blog.

my mom sent a batch of my favorite homemade oatmeal cookies. i just got the recipe from her, in case she dies! she also makes a mean roast beef with yorkshire pudding. i can’t make the pudding like she can, but i’m working on it.

you meet the strangest people in new york. today a guy asked me if i was homeless, and offered me a ride. no thanks! i didn’t think i looked that grubby. i should have got the sicko’s license plate.

i hate my landlord. i extend olive branches all the time, and he just won’t take them. thats right folks, i don’t own an nyc apartment. or a car. or a country home. i don’t even have a stereo! i’m just not interested in spending money on crap like cars and real estate. i can walk, and i don’t need to buy a money pit. i’d rather fight with my landlord.

none of this is very interesting, so i’m signing off…

best

brad

Filed under: Uncategorized

28 Responses to “can’t sleep”

1. By JH on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

Love the story about you being supposed to be homeless.

Any chance to get some nice recipes (not only in respect to those you spoke of) from you?

Cheers, Julian

2. By jweust on Jan 18, 2010 | Reply

Brad, That’s the way Albert Eistein said people should live their life. Material things are just clutter,
    and people should live there life with less stuff and only have the bare basics of what they really need.He said people should simplify there life.

3. By Donna Harris on Jan 19, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad:

Glad to hear you have new music coming out. I just popped “God Shuffled His Feet” into the CD player yesterday, and it still sounded great. I’ll be looking forward to hearing new stuff.

I also noted that you’re reading again. ?! Did you stop reading for a time? Do you read just literature, or non-fiction as well?

Your lyrics have always been informed by such literary influences – I wondered. I also took an English degree (a Master’s actually), in Winnipeg in the 1990’s. I went to the U of M. But I haven’t done much in that field since I graduated.

Anyway, I sure would love to be able to ask you some other questions about literature, and skepticism, and other topics – but maybe not on this public forum. If you like, please contact me at the ham_librarian email address (at yahoo dot ca).

Best regards,
    Donna Harris

4. By Diego Putrid on Jan 22, 2010 | Reply

Hello Brad, here in Brazil also has very strange people. One day I will see the madness of New York up close!!!

5. By Rickie on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad,

Long time fan here, I finally thought I would write and say hi.

I like how you are down to earth and not like most celebrities. :)

I am going to keep this short, since it’s a comment on the blog :)

I have yet to go to New York, but I have been to Chicago (I live just outside Chicago, in Rockford) and I am sure Chicago is just as strange as New York :)

P.S. You should send me some those oatmeal cookies :) I am now hungry and craving those now lol

6. By J-Hock on Jan 24, 2010 | Reply

I figure your Super, Or Landlord, Or Whatever s/he is could would give you less crap if you ponied up for a Sony Walkmen and showed him your new Satsang Circus Chants… At this rate, when taken out of context, he could at least pity you and write you off for demented, rather than antagonize you. Sometimes that “homeless guy” thing can be a leg up for you.

Speaking of that: You have no Stereo, No Apartment, No Country Home, and No Car; Why are you getting bent out of shape that someone thinks you’re homeless? My mother used to say, “If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it’s either a duck, or an artist.”
    At least humor the guy and let him know that you’re less of the “Homeless-Type” and more of the “Given Up on Progressive Society-Type.”

Seriously,

7. By LordBiggz on Jan 26, 2010 | Reply

hey Brad,
    Just noticed this fantastic little section! Long time fan of your music and lyrics. Caught your act with the Dummies at carefree theatre in broward county, florida in 1996. It was an intimate setting with great acoustics, making great musicians sound even greater. Thanks for the memories.

I noticed your chanting class. Are you Buddhist? I can’t imagine chanting alongside you. let’s face it, you’re not exactly an alto.

I’m Outlived by That Thing really put it all into perspective, my existential friend!

All the best,
    LB

8. By c-eling on Jan 30, 2010 | Reply

that is funny,listening to puss’n’boots the other day,great disc, anyways my g-friend wondedered why i had defaced the album cover by drawing a mustache and cig on the chick,now thats funny!one more thing,as i think most remasters are crap,and the mastering on all your albums is great in the first place,it would be nice to here a sacd or dvd-audio 5.1 mix,would love to here those crickets chirping from my cats butt,lol,thanks for the great music all these years and looking forward to your future workings,michigan says hello,and i’m afraid robocops not comin back to detroit,he left some years ago

9. By Susan on Jan 31, 2010 | Reply

I think it was Eddie Murphy that said “Kill mah landlord! Kill mah landlord!”
    I miss NYC. But if you want some weirdness, come on up to Ver-Mont. We got some strange stuff up here, too. Keep on writing, Brad. I have always loved your music. Peace out.

10. By Frédéric on Feb 2, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad :-)
    Sorry for my poor english, just congratulations for your so great music
    for years and can’t wait for the new album !
    Have a nice day
    Frédéric

11. By Petar on Feb 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey there,
    is it still possible to see some new stuff from you, either on youtube or anything else. CTD is my favorite band, and actually the first album I have ever bought, as a kiddo. Made my life special.
    Hugs from Serbia

12. By dion morray on Feb 4, 2010 | Reply

dude, when are you guys coming back to play in manitoba??

13. By Conner on Feb 7, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad,
    So you really don’t own an apartment or a car? I find that utterly awesome, why bother wasting cash on things, that in the end, really don’t matter?! I fight with my landlord all the time haha, he’s a rich moron who refuses to fix anything and upon viewing my yet unfurnished apartment (I was moving in the same day) came out with the phrase ‘Hmm, very minimalistic, if you can’t pay the rent, let me know early enough’ he then glanced at me vaugely, got in his Porsche and left….what an ass.

Well yeah, sorry for being long winded, but I’ve just re-discovered (I hate that term, but whatever) Crash Test Dummies and when I found this blog I nearly lost control of my bowels haha.

Greetings from freezing ass Germany,
    Conner

14. By Ruth Ferez on Feb 9, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad, are you guys ever going to come to Dublin, Ireland? I would really love that.

15. By Jane Lange on Feb 13, 2010 | Reply

Brad
    When are you coming back to Louisville Kentucky?
    Do you remember playing at the public radio station WFPK?
    My husband & I were there.
    It was the most beautiful experience.

16. By Dan on Feb 19, 2010 | Reply

Im sittin here in Singapore apartment. Dont own a car and dont own real estate either. Life is great
    Just finished Chinese New Years today…the Chinese party on for 5 days.
    When I first arrived I was at the airport and a young chinese guy was sportin a gibson guitar hard case with a les paul inside. I asked if he was just getting back. he said nope Im Canadian and yor gonna love it here. I then confessed to him for two weeks of listening to Crash Test Dummys on youtube that MMMMMMMM was ringing in my ears. Coffee spoons also.My son owns a small recording studio in Minneapolis if you need a place to record.

17. By Rob on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Come back on tour already E town Alberta is waiting!

18. By brad on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

i’m working on it!

19. By brad on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

great to hear from the other side of the world. always.

20. By brad on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

i’m so glad you enjoyed it.

brad

21. By brad on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

freezing ass here too! good to hear from you.

22. By brad on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

i would LOVE to go to Dublin. it is one of my very favorite cities, in one of my very favorite countries.

i’m going to try and release this new record in europe, and do a few tour dates over there. if there is an offer in dublin, and we can afford the flight, we’ll go!

thanks! brad

23. By brad on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

donna – you can ask me anything you want in this public forum. brad

24. By brad on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

that is really sweet. thanks so much.

25. By brad on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

i really don’t understand what the hell you are talking about, dude!

26. By neil(former...) on Mar 4, 2010 | Reply

oh, you do…actually, maybe you don’t?

27. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

thanks frederic. i’m pretty psyched too!

28. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

we’ll be in michigan soon – see my last blog