22 Feb

sunday night insomnia

well folks, it’s sunday at 6:50AM and i haven’t slept all night. had kind of a fun one, though. puttered around, read, watched old movies.

crash test dummmies are still aiming for a may release and some tour dates on the NE seabord (May) and the Southwest (June). none of the dates are set, it’s just something we’re shooting for. the album art continues to evolve and we’re talking about doing some animated video with it. i did a photo shoot which turned out very well. there are a few blogs about me, and i should get a write up in billboard.com at some point. (they interviewed me.)

so things are finally moving along. in the meantime, i’m still baking bread every day, and yoga is an obsession. i chant (in sanskrit and ancient hebrew and greek and english) every day – fck off if you don’t like it. i have found new resonances and nuances in my voice as a result.

i’ve discovered only recently that for me, singing is a great way to wake up my body. i’ve always felt like shite in the morning.

and i think that’s part of why people sing in the shower. it’s a great place for acoustics, and the hot water and steam opens the lungs and sinuses and ear canals and moisturizes the whole nasal and throat passageways. turns on your body and your brain.

i’ve also noticed that if i MAKE MYSELF SING, i feel better. weird but true. i guess it’s like the old saw – they’re not singing ’cause they’re happy, their happy because they’re singing.

can’t think of anything else. thanks for hanging in there with me. it’s been quite a few years since i’ve put out anything. this stuff takes the cake. a lot of completely new directions. and great lyrics. among my best. if i do say so myself, and i do.

have a good week, folks

28 Responses to “sunday night insomnia”

1. By Frank Chretien on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Hi Mr.Roberts! (or Brad if I may)

Out of nowhere I just reminded your song “mmm mmm mmm mmm” and went to my computer to hear it…and it felt so good to get carried by this song again, just like when I was 15 after I had been watching Dumb and Dumber…great times, and still going!

Can’t wait for your next album, and tell me you guys are going to play in Montreal in the tour!

You got the best voice ever. An awesome personality. Your music is amazing. You deserve to get another God shuffled success! Work hard, keep it going, and give it to us man! You’re the best!!!

We LOVE you!

Frank

2. By Conner on Feb 22, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad,
    Don’t worry about how long it has been since you put something out, the last Dummies record is so damn good it could tide me over another 3 years if it had to…not that I want to wait that long! Haha
    Singing in the morning is great! Im by no length a good singer, or even an average one, but when I get up in the morning i just put on some music and stumble about the house singing in a mostly off-key voice haha, but it wakes me up as well!

Can’t wait to read the billboard.com interview and hopefully get my hands on the new album. Any chances of coming round to Germany? I’d buy you an Apple Wine if you were to play here! haha

Ok, have a good one!,
    Conner

3. By Sean on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

It’s really a great thing that you’re exploring another new direction.
    One of the many things I’ve always loved about your music is the fact that there’s always an underlying folkness and purity about it, but there’s nothing “set” about it. So I can listen to albums as different as The Ghosts That Haunt Me and I Don’t Care That You Don’t Mind and enjoy the different tone and attitude of the songs while still enjoying the CTD feeling I’m such a fan of. Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I’m talking about : )

4. By Sean on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad,

I’m really looking forward to the new album. The new directions sound really cool. One of the things I love about your music is that it’s so varied but still has a folkiness and purity to it that is always CTD.

I’ve been wanting to see you guys live for years; hopefully it’ll happen this time when you come to the NE.

Take care : )

5. By Sean on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

Sorry about posting twice (and now, three times) in a row. I swear that first comment wasn’t showing up, so I posted again because I thought it didn’t go through. Agh.

6. By dave on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

good job about time to put out some new music we all can’t wait to hear it
    from all the people in canada good luck from dave c

7. By neil(former...) on Feb 23, 2010 | Reply

wake up and go to sleep dude…hey brad, look up “the sound kitchen” down in Nashville, TN, you know me not to bullshit you Brad, I say it and do it like it is, so if you have any interest, let me know, email me, or whatever, get me your agent’s info and we’ll deal it that way, the person I know has asked me a couple of times if I was able to contact you, and she said she has a mutual friend, but felt it better if I contacted you (or at least attempted), and fans, have a tendency to make things real affordable. I just have a bunch of shit that has been going down on my shoulders since we last talked, so I’m dealing with it, so excuse me if I use this message board for contacting you, its so public, which is not my way, as you know…

8. By kyle on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

good to hear from you and I’m looking forward to the next release.

9. By Gabe on Feb 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey there Brad,

Really looking forward to the new album, especially after the masterpiece that was the last album. Got to see you at the Living Room in NY and that was such a treat (even though we got a $150 parking ticket, wish I’d just have given you that cash) and really hoping you make your way to the Philly area.

All the best,
    Gabe

10. By JH on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad,
    can’t wait for your new record (actually I can’t wait since the frist release date a year ago was set :) ).
    I really love all CTDs work (even own my own copy of Ellen’s Cinderellen LP ), especially because every album sounds completely different.
    Any chance you put some sample from the new album online beforehands?

@Connor:
    Germany? Apple wine? I know a fellow Hessian if I see one ;)

11. By Fifi on Feb 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey!

Sorry,it’s not connected with the topic,but i think it’s a really good site.I can find everything i want,pictures,music,videos…
    The first CrashTestDummies song i heard was MMM MMMM….it’s beautyful.
    Since then CTD is my favourite band.
    Greetings from Hungary,
    Fifi

12. By Justin on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Good to here everything is coming together with the new record. Can we expect to see you around toronto anytime when you tour? I can match Conners offer of a bottle of something if you do. Perhaps a bottle of CC (Canadian Club). Or Canada Dry if you don’t drink ;)

Take care,
    Justin

13. By Frank Pascual on Feb 26, 2010 | Reply

Hi Brad, great to hear you voice your opinions on singing making you happy. I too find singing to be uplifting. I can’t wait to hear you new album. I recently just purchased 3 more Crash Test Dummies albums. I am a new found fan and it has changed me personally. I found myself to be more cheerful when I hear your music. Oh, I have to ask, there is a Facebook account with you, is it really you? And please at least stop by Chicago if you tour.

Sincerely,
    Frank

14. By Sheri on Feb 27, 2010 | Reply

You are awesome! I stumbled onto HDNET, WOW! What a surprise! Going on tour anytime soon?????
    You voice Brad, breathtaking! Your back up vocals, beautiful! The scene, atmosphere you set is just incredible.
    Fresno, Calif is waiting for you. Our Saroyan Theatre would be an awesome venue for you,or our newly remolded and restored Warners Theater fits you even better.
    Your music is very intimate, very real to me.You know how something gives you goosebumps and you don’t know why? Like that.
    Anyway, if I ever hear from you, cool! If not, I’ll be looking for you in concert! Just keep making music!

15. By Ann on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

Will you ever come visit Israel?

16. By kyle on Mar 1, 2010 | Reply

I know it’s really early, but is there any chance that this little tour of the Dummies will come anywhere close to the midwest? Chicago? Dallas?

17. By John Bouzan on Mar 2, 2010 | Reply

Hey Brad,heard you guys are coming to Foxboro Mass. to Patriot Place in May. The acoustics in this place is unbelievable. Holds 1050 people. Looking forward to this event. You guys are great!!!!! John

18. By Adam Sims. on Mar 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Brad.

Well it’s been a little while since i’ve listened to you and the dummies, and I have to say i’ve been listening to you guys for quite some time. I believe Ghost That Haunt Me was the first real true TAPE I ever listened to as a young lad on my way to do some Elk and Wolf calling with friends and family back in Winnipeg (I remember those days very clearly). I just thought i’d see what you’ve been up to these days.

Small World, I live on the same street you grew up back in Winnipeg, good ol’ Nightingale (310). I don’t know why i’ve never tried to send you an email, but I remember seeing you walk by my place havin a smoke when I was younger, over the christmas Holidays. I still see your parents from time to time, however i’m living in Montreal right now making and recording music. Just wanted to try and contact you and let you know you were a huge inspiration for me growing up with music. I actually just recorded a cover of your song ‘Superman’s Song’ today on some software I have here at my place. Man that song still gets me every time.
    Anyways man, hope all is well in NY and just wanted you to know that your music kicks ass and i’m very glad to have lived and grown up on the same street as you. When i’m home in the Summer, i’m out there on the porch playing Guitar. Cheers for now, and i’d love to buy a copy of your new CD when its out.

Peace man,
    Adam Sims.

19. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

hey billy – we don’t have memphis on our roster now, but i think that will change with the release
    of the new record.

20. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

May 22 – Chicago, IL – Martyr’s – be there, be square! bradical

21. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

i would love to. i’ve never been. we had an offer back in 1994 but there was a lot of
    violence at the time, and the border was brutal. maybe this year, who knows? best b

22. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

May 22 – Chicago, IL – Martyr’s. We’ll be there

23. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

we just may, once our website is ramped up. thanks for asking. b-rad

24. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

we’ll be in philly May 11 at World Cafe Live

25. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

the face book is indeed real, friend. i don’t go on there much. bared

26. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

no problem – brad

27. By brad on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

i am doing a distribution deal in germany as we speak, so we might just be there in late 2010…b

28. By Tanya from usaonlinecasino on May 21, 2010 | Reply

Admiring the shilly-shally and travail you present into your blog and itemized info you offer! I resolve bookmark your blog and receive my children investigate up here often. Thumbs up!